The Liversage Alms Houses
This beautiful Grade II listed group of buildings was erected in 1836 for the Liversage Trust. This was founded in 1529 under the terms of the will of Robert Liversage, a well respected and highly skilled man who had built his fortune as a dyer of wool and business man. Upon his death, as well as establishing a chapel in his local church of St Peter's, he also had most of his possessions given to the vicar so that they could benefit the poor. To this end a group of almshouses was erected on St Peter's Churchyard later being replaced by the group pictured here on London Road.
The Liversage Trust continues to operate as a highly successful charitable housing association and these almshouse continue to provide accommodation for pensioners who have lived within the old parish boundaries.
Liversage Trust Nottingham Road Estate
One of the Trust's oldest land holdings is on Nottingham Road, possibly dating back to the 16th century, Today this area consists of a number of houses, a parade of shops and a couple of pubs and was mostly built in the 1890's to an arts and crafts style of design by local architect Alexander Macpherson. It replaced a smaller, older estate of which only a couple of buildings survive notable the Peacock Inn of the 1700s and two stone cottages of a similar date. The estate is beautifully maintained by a small estate workforce who have an onsite workshop. The houses on this estate are still maintained as traditional Alms Houses providing accommodation for the elderly of the city who can show that they are in 'need, hardship or distress arising from their present housing circumstances'.